It certainly feels good saving cash you could have spent on repairs and do it yourself. To change car oil is probably one of the sure repairs that you can do yourself with less hassle of messing things up. the process is simple, descriptive with a few tools that you should normally have in your toolbox.
Change your car oil your self will keep nothing less than $50 in your pocket and time waiting on the technician. The following are the basic tools that you will need to have.
When To Change Car Oil
The main question is how often we should change car oil. Well, it is an accepted fact that it is ideal that you change your oil after 3,000 miles or three months. However, for new cars, you can wait for double the mileage and duration of changing the oil of an old car.
So with all this what signs should I expect when it is time to change my oil.
Sign To Lookout For
Below are some of the signs to look out for before you decide to change car oil
Dark and Dirty Oil
One of the noticeable sign especially for those that do a routine check on the car is the change in color of the car oil. Clean oil is usually in amber color while it is due to change car oil when it is darkened due to the mix with carbon in the engine.
Increased Engine Noise
Clean oil improves the smooth running and movement of engine parts while a dirty oil can not curtail the movement. Hence it will result in louder engine noise. This should not be ignored as it can result in damage to the engine. As such pay attention to the noise change.
Oil Change or Check Engine Light
Recent cars indicate the need for an oil change right there on the dash for the drivers to see. Once you see this sign it is recommended that you check the oil. Note that the yellow color symbol is a great indication that you need to change your oil as soon as possible.
All the dirt in the oil is evident in the produced smoke from the exhaust. Smoke is another great indicator that your oil might need change. Proceed to check the oil when you notice abnormal smoke from your car exhaust.
Oil Smell Inside the Cabin
A quite abnormal smelling smoke can also be traced to the need to change the car oil. It comes as a result of the inability of the oil in the engine to carry out the lubricating demand of the car engine
How To Change Car Oil Yourself Steps
There aren’t many technicalities to change your car oil. That is why it is a task that you can do yourself in 30 minutes and save nothing less than $50.
With the following tools
- Drain plug wrench
- Wrench to loosen the Oil filter
You will need to get the replacement oil and oil filter. You can get from the information about the right spec stated in the manual. At this point, you are ready to get started with step 1
Step 1:Prepare your vehicle
Ideally, it is better to change car oil while it is hot or warm at least. So you need to keep the engine running for some munites to ensure that the oil will drain out completely.
Leave the car to cool off a bit before going underneath. Typically to change car oil is done in a lube bay where you can easily go under but jacking up the car or parking on a level surface can serve for DIYers.
Step 2: Locate the oil filter and drain plug
Locate the oil filter and drain plug. The drain plug is usually a screw-on cap in most cars. Then proceed with the following steps.
- Place the drain pan under the drain and then let the oil out.
You might want to put on a latex glove at this point as things start getting messy.
- Wait for the oil to completely drain out.
Step3: Tighten the drain plug
Empty the oil in the oil filter into the oil pan. Then set both aside.
- Inspect and clean the oil drain plug for any form of damage.
- Also, check the washer attached to the screw.
- Tighten the drain plug.
Ensure the drain plug tightened using the wrench. Failure to get the tighten the drain plug properly might result in oil leakage.
Step4: Change the oil filter
Now that all you have successfully drain out the old oil, it is time to embark on the steps to change car oil.
- Place the pan close to the oil filter area
- Loosen the old oil filter
NB: There is a little bit of technicality applied when removing old filters however you will improve with time. Like the first time, you might leave the whole place a little bit messy. Old oil filters are quite tightened over time and require the right force just enough to damage anything.
- Proceed to loosen the oil filter slowly. (you might want to take the glove off so as to have a good grip on the filter)
- Soon as it comes out, hold it over the pan to leet out the oil held within.
- Set it aside and clean the slipped oil.
Step5: Install the New Oil Filter
Ensure the new filter matches the specification of the old oil filter
- Bring out the new filter.
- Dab some of the new oil on the O’ring of the new filter. Spin the filter till the O-ring makes the first contact with the sealing surface.
Check with your car manual to know the extent to which you can tighten the filter. Another way to get it right is to look for signs on the old filter and put a mark on the new one using it as a reference.
- You can install the filter using your hand also resort to the wrench if you can not get a solid grip.
Step6: Add the new oil
At this time I would suggest you check the oil drain bolt to avoid leakage. Also, check the filter is tightened appropriately
After you reconfirmation, it’s time to add oil.
- Add a quart less than the recommended.
- Gently turn in the oil smoothly using the funnel.
- Ensure to replace the oil cap
- Start the engine and let run for 30 seconds for the oil to circulate
- Shut the engine down and check for signs of leakage.
Step7: Check the oil level
Now that you have successfully change car oil in 6 simple steps. The final check is to park it on level ground and check the car oil.
- You will need to add a little more oil as you have short filled it in the above step.
- Check the oil level using the dipstick and if the oil gauges on the upper end of the hatch mark, then it is a job well done and completed
You have successfully change car oil. All that is left is to do a proper clean up job and dispose of the old oil. The job can be done in thirty munites however it might take more time at the first try but as time goes on you can complete the job in time.
Also, read about the Toyota Rav4